It is very difficult to identify healthy food. Some foods are easy to identify such as the broccoli are healthy to eat whereas the doughnuts are not. However, there are many foods in the ‘gastronomical gray area’. So the questions that very often come to our minds are- Is eating yogurt healthy? What about fruit juice and wheat bread? Is granola healthy or not?
Every year most of us take the resolution to eat the right healthy food and lose weight. So, here are few healthy foods that one must consume so as to get the best results from such a diet:
1. Smoothies: These contain fruits which are good for our body. However, some smoothies also contain a good amount of carbohydrates, drinking which you are sure to pile on weight. Some sellers also mix frozen yogurt or sherbet in smoothies to boost the flavor of the drink. However, such smoothies are not healthy drinks as they contain a lot of calories.
Rachelle Hochgraber, registered dietician, Liberty Hy-Vee explains that you can make healthier smoothies using skim milk, low-fat yogurt and fresh fruit. You also need to keep a check on the quantity consumed which is essential to ensure that you stay fit and healthy.
2. Yogurt: They sound so healthy right? Yes, they do contain active and live cultures which are good your intestines and immune systems but not all brand yogurts contain them. However, most of the flavored yogurts (even the ones claiming to have low-calories) contain a considerable amount of corn syrup which is known to double the total amount of sugar in the food item. If this sugar is not burnt off properly then during digestion it gets stored as fat in the body.
3. Breakfast cereals: There is a technique to choose healthy cereal for breakfast. Choose the cereal which contains whole grains and at the least 5 grams of fiber for every serving. Such a cereal will prove to be a healthy food item and good for you in the long run.
4. Wheat bread: Not all wheat breads are the same. Choose a whole wheat bread whose main ingredient is whole wheat flour. After these there are different slices of bread that you need to choose from. These bread slices may vary in their calories count which may range from 70-130 so do choose your wheat bread with care.
5. Muffins: You might feel that muffins are healthy foods for breakfast. However, these days’ muffins contain on an average 500 calories along with 30 grams of carbohydrates and 20 grams fats. So, consume them occasionally and not on an everyday basis.
Therefore, it is advised that you consider consuming healthy foods such as vegetable soup, fruits or fruit juices on an everyday basis as they are not too rich in calories and contain the correct quantity of carbohydrates and fats.